Share a story about how you overcame a learning challenge. Why was it a challenge? What strategies did you use?  Use the language you learned in this unit.

Drawback memory to my high school, second year, I struggled with math because every time I got confused, I didn’t dare to disrupt the teacher to ask the question. One equation can be a huge gap in my learning process. However, my math teacher noticed my problem and decided to give me a one-on-one session. And that’s where she applied behaviorist strategies to help me out. She managed to grasp my weakness and give me abundant feedback for reinforcement. After a small test two days later I got a good grade. My feeling of achievement and being good at it brought me a lot of motivation.

Share a story about your best learning experience (could be a formal course or something more personal). Why did you enjoy it?

One of my best learning experiences was the Earth and Ocean Science 100 Course that I took in my first semester. One of the most important reasons that make this course overall to be successful for learners is that it was constructed in multiple modes. So the course included three parts which are: lecture, labs, and field trip. Benefited from different features, I was able to grasp the concepts during lecture and put them into practice during labs, and even observe or examine during the field trip. My learning motivation was highly fulfilled because I can enjoy the learning content through so many approaches that can reinforce my understanding and practical application.

Among the three concepts, cognitivism is the one I have a little confusion about. It said in the reading that cognitivism pays attention to the learning environment just like behaviorism however it seems like there’s also a conflict between them? I wonder whether educators can apply both of them within one material?